Max Reger was born in Brand, Fichtelgebirge, on March 19, 1873. He spent his youth in Weiden, where he attended elementary school, Realschule (secondary school leading to an intermediate qualification), and preparatory school. As a 15-year-old boy, Max Reger composed his first work, an overture in H minor. In 1890, he began to study music in Sondershausen with Professor Hugo Riemann but soon moved to Wiesbaden where he continued studying and began teaching.
After graduation, he moved back to Weiden and lived there from 1898 to 1901. During this time, he composed about 70 tunes, several piano pieces and almost all of his significant pieces for organ such as the Ceremonial Prelude in C minor. In August 1901, Reger moved to Munich, where he married Elsa von Bagenski one year later.
Reger took on a teaching post at the Royal Academy of Music Art and embarked on numerous concert tours, where he was celebrated passionately. In 1907, he was elected dean of the University of Leipzig.
Moreover, he was awarded the honorary degree of doctor and was appointed both Aulic Councillor and conductor of Meining’s court orchestra by the Count of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Max Reger died in Leipzig on May 5, 1916.