The Waldsassen granary is one of the few Baroque buildings in Weiden. In 1739, Brother Philipp Muttone (1690-1775) designed this building as a granary for the Monastery Waldsassen which had numerous estates in and around Weiden. From 1803 to 1857, the building was the residence of the Forestry Commission Office, and from 1857 to 1966, it was a courthouse.
Today, two cultural institutions are situated in the Waldsassen granary: the International Museum of Ceramics (since 1990) and the public library (since 1994).
The Flurerturm, which is adjacent to the Waldsassen granary, is a vestige of the 16th century town fortifications.
10.2. Technik Garden (Lederer-Straße 5)
From 1654 to 1797, the estate was owned by Protestant chemists such as the first chemist to own it mayor Christoph Bötticher. Bötticher’s widow Catharina Christina inherited the estate and sold to her son-in-law Abraham Geritz Adrian. After his death in 1700, Adrian’s widow married the chemist Heinrich August Vogel in 1702, who, in 1716, walled the estate and the extensive garden in. Vogel died in 1730 and his widow sold the estate to the chemist Johann Heinrich Tonnenbinder from Berlin. Tonnenbinder died in 1743 and his widow married the chemist Matthäus Möller from Bopfingen.
Möller died in 1752 and, in 1754, his second wife married the chemist Johann Nikolaus Miedel. In 1756, he tore down the old house and rebuilt it as the house at Ledererstraße 5, which exists until today. In 1772, he sold the estate to his cousin, the chemist Dr. Johann Simon Miedel, who practiced until 1797 and then sold his pharmacy to his assistant.
In 1827, Miedel’s grandson Friedrich Simon Wilhelm Anns inherited the estate. Anns, in 1832, sold it to the gardener Johann Nikolaus Püschel, who had already worked as a gardener for Miedel. His son Johann Heinrich became the subsequent holder of the estate, but soon selling it to the art gardener Johann Technik.
All of the above-mentioned chemists grew their own medical herbs and teas, planted trees, constantly beautified the garden, and even built a greenhouse. Especially the Miedels took great care of the garden, which they called orangery.